Wednesday, July 8, 2009

R/D3

What are the problems that social bookmarking can help to solve for teachers? Social bookmarking could solve the problem of students wandering around on the internet. A teacher could list the approved sites for students. Sites would be easy to find. I can see where that would speed up projects and keep students on track with their assignments. Sharing with friends would be fun, similar to Facebook, but something you design yourself. I am going to share photos with the Volinia Softball team via my blog!

For students social bookmarking would make assignments and projects easier. All the sites would be in one place. The directions could be there also! Tech-savvy parents would find bookmarking helpful for helping their children keep up with their school work.

For administrators and teachers I can imagine a site to share information concerning students’ behavior. Who is not getting along with whom that day? Is a student acting strange? A heads up from the principal? etc. There are really a tremendous number of ways that a social bookmarking site could be used to facilitate the sharing of information by everyone.

My thoughts about Instructional Design were nonexistent before I took this class. I never knew that there was a program of this nature.
The definitions helped me get a small grip on the nature of Instructional Design. The surprise for me was the structure and scholarship behind Instructional Design. Is anything new to me? Yes! The whole thing is new. As far as something being left out is concerned, I know so little about this I really cannot say. I was just looking for a way to improve my teaching, and to incorporate some much-needed technology into my classroom. This class will certainly give me the opportunity to do both this fall.

6 comments:

  1. Mark,

    Like you, I thought social bookmarking would be a great way to avoid "wandering" on the internet while students are working. I like your idea of sharing student discipline problems via the internet. Can you explain how bookmarking would help that? Like you, I am new to all of this so the ideas that some people have to always make sense to my "one track type" thought of technology that I currently have.

    Thanks,

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Like you, I enjoyed the photo sharing part of this assignment. I coached a volleyball team and, like you, thought how nice and easy it would be to share pictures through my blog.

    The only question I had about your reflection was sharing student behavior online. I do see the necessity to pass on information like that... but I probably wouldn't want to do it through a site online. In most cases, I would think that student behavior would be something you would only share with a handful of people. Making a site or blog about that would seem pretty time consuming and possibly not secure enough for such 'restricted' information.
    Suzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, though I teach younger students, I can definitely see the benefits of using a bookmark sharing website like delicious to cut down on wandering on the internet. Students seem to look for any opportunity to browse the web for unrelated subject matter and I think you're right about social bookmarking putting a stop to that. Not to mention, it makes it a lot easier for the student to do research. There were many times throughout high school and college where the wealth of information available seemed overwhelming. Had there been a social bookmarking site to narrow that search and also provide a starting point, it would've been a lot more manageable.

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    Before I knew about social bookmarking, I assigned the third graders research about insects on internet. I didn’t give any sites where they could look for because I overestimated their computer skills are higher. Unfortunately, the most of students were couldn’t complete the research because they didn’t know which site to look at. Like you said, I could use social bookmarking and prepare for all the sites that they can look at. In that way, my lesson got more productive. Students could do better job on that assignment.

    Yasue

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a student, I would appreciate the easy access to a social bookmarking site when looking to do a research project. However, as a teacher, if they are all looking at the same sites to do a project, I feel that I would get 30, almost identical papers. I also think that part of the assignment of a research project is actually finding the information by themselves, and if they want to screw around and not do anything but surf the net, so be it. Their grade will probably reflect it. On the other hand, I can definitely see your point, I hate it when time is wasted in the computer lab. I would definitely consider trying your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed a grasp on the instructional design theory also...this chapter definitely helped me in doing that...as i stated in my post that the previous definitions i had been exposed to were so technical that it left nothing up to creativity or guidance for us as teachers.

    ReplyDelete