Thursday, August 6, 2009

Application Reviews

I am pretty sure that I should not be the one recommending online applications, but I did have some success editing some photos with Piknik. The process was easy and fast. It was nice also to be able to change the picture size. I liked seeing how the pictures would change as you moved the adjustment arrow. You can not really screw up too badly because you can go back and edit again until the picture is how you want it to be. I liked Piknik and would recommend it to someone looking to edit their photos.

My next experimental jaunt into online applications was Google Documents (GD), which I did not like as much. Maybe it is because I am used to working with Microsoft Word, but GD seemed awkward to me. It does look to have more options, but not enough to make me want to switch. However the Google product I did find to be very interesting was Google Scholar. http://scholar.google.com/
When I used the advanced search and looked for Instructional Design articles with the phrase “rich media” between the years 2007-2009 there were 266 articles to read. When I searched for Robert the Bruce, a medieval king of Scotland, I had 282 articles to read. Wow! What a tool for research! You can select what subject area (chemistry, biology, computer science, social studies, math, the list goes on!) you want the article to relate to. This is a web site worth looking into even if it is not exactly what our assignment was asking for.

3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    Thanks for the tip on Google Scholar. I will definitely look into that shortly.


    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I like to use Picnik, too. We used to use Picasa, but found there were more options using Picnik. Google Scholar sounds very cool. I looked at Zoho, and didn't see anything like that. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to check out Google Scholar. It sounds like it could save me some time! :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete