In this chapter the thing that struck me was the possibility of Instructional Design advancing to the point of being a personal tutor for each student. When the students can interact with computers with some type of artificial intelligence to help create their own “learning experience” the possibilities will be endless. If this is the case imagine the shift in learning that will happen in our country. Our schools will not be the same. In a way it will almost be like using an ancient or medieval model for schools. Hiring a tutor was the norm then, now though the tutor will be a computer!
The activity I liked the most was reading other peoples responses and seeing some of the great ideas my classmates had to use technology in their classrooms. Another part of the class I liked was the feeling that I was really starting to not be a dilettante with computers, but someone who could take advantage of some of the possibilities they offer us, in the classroom and personally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mark,
ReplyDeleteWhy have teachers when each student has their own tutor which has the capability of artificial intelligence? Kinda like robots replacing the assembly line workers! I think the response were pretty informative as well. I always like to hear other opinions and ideas because it broadens my perspective! :) KathyW
I'm glad that you're empowered! Technology is not out of anyone's grasp... but it does take some exploration. :)
ReplyDeleteIf computers become the main teacher, they will still need people to program and fix computers... so I guess we made a good choice learning more about technology! :) -Suzy
Mark, I do think it would be beneficial for students to have artificial intelligence tutors, but I still think having human teachers is very important. The relationships we build with kids and the citizens we help create cannot be easily reproduced with technology....yet:)
ReplyDeleteDanelle Drake
Hi Mark,
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine individualized AI tutors for students, but have to echo Danelle's statement about relationships. One great thing about classroom situations is that students learn the importance of relating to others.
Mark,
ReplyDeleteI also agree with my classmates. Having individualized tutors would be amazing to student learning. I can only imagine how test scores would rise. However, we are extra lucky because they will still need teachers to create material for the tutors and they will need technology people to help with the programming.
Jackie Sowle
I sure would have liked to have an AI tutor in college. Not because I could have spent more time partying and less time in class, well that too, but some of my math classes that I had to take were ridiculously hard. I still can't believe I made it through. I also know that a few of my students would like to take advantage of a tutor. Another "person" to show them the way might get them through.
ReplyDelete