Wednesday, July 29, 2009

R/D11

Many of the Instructional Design (ID) competencies are readily applicable to teaching. Perhaps the toughest one for me is to “update and improve my skills and knowledge in instructional design.” I like to expand my knowledge in history and it seems that I don’t have enough time to do that! Now I have to stay up on ID too, but that is what I am doing now. Fortunately I am finding that I enjoy some aspects of ID and can see that they will be of benefit.

Another competency that is hard for me, but I am working on now is “using technology to enhance training” or in my case teaching. The blogs, html, etc. are all new for me, but I am gaining a very modest level of competency in using them. I know these will bring a boost in interest to my classes, and will help students learn in a way that many students are more attune to than I am since they were born with a computer chip embedded in them! Using this technology will require some planning on my part. What is the best use for some of new tools I will have at my disposal this Year. All of this ties in with the communication aspect of ID. This will be a new way to communicate knowledge to the students.

Instructional Design will help with another competency for teachers, “stimulate and sustain learner motivation.” Students like and need variety in instruction, and they jump at a chance to use computers. New projects generate a lot of enthusiasm, especially projects that use technology. Any advantage a teacher has should be used!

The competency of “analyzing the characteristics of the environment” is critical for teaching at an alternative school. Our students are immature. You have to think about if a particular class is ready for a project, especially a project involving computers. Are they going to stick to the assignment or get on a site that is prohibited. It is very difficult to monitor a class in the computer lab or even just a few students online while you are teaching the rest of the class. However, after adding the pros and cons I find that there is no way that technological innovation should not be used to improve your instruction methods.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that computers and other forms of technology help to stimulate and sustain learner motivation. In any situation, if a student has an interest in something, use it to your advantage. I was teaching an art lesson that focused on contour lines and really looking at an object that you're drawing. That particular class seemed to be obsessed with cars, so that's what we drew! No need to set up a boring still life that the students have no interest in. If the students like technology and are excited to learn when they are using technology, then by all means, lets use it!

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    One thing to consider if your students are quick to wander on the web is a program called "Lanschool Teacher." I am 90% sure that is the name. It allows you to limit the web, application and computer use of an individual or class. We have it on the computers that I used for summer school and it was super cool. I was able to sit and send messages to students who were off task. I was also able to give private messages of encouragement or discipline or even a joke or two. This may or may not be an option for your building seeing as the main benefit comes from when you sit down at the teacher computer. Maybe if you have a para-pro in the room it would be even more helpful.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is never enough time!! I felt like that all year last year, and now that I have to get in 12 credit hours in a year, and teach, and coach, time is going to be priceless.

    I had to laugh when you said kids are born with a computer chip in them. I am amazed that they can learn how to use a computer without having any instruction. They pick up things so quickly, I wish I could do that. This is not a "knock" on this course, but what we are learning in this class most of the kids have been doing for years.

    I also wanted to say that I agree with you that you have to strictly monitor what they are doing on the computers, which you really shouldn't have to. However, like you said, they are immature and like to see what they can get away with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,
    These online applications are new for me too. I have heard about them before but never really actually know how to apply them. After taking this course, there are a lot of new ideas that I would like to try next year with my classes including some of these tecnological tools. Not only will the kids be learning the new technologies, I think I will benefit greatly from it too.
    Even now, in my class using the SMART Board, I feel I have enhance the student's learning dramtically compare to using a standard chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am new to most of this technology, but am excited about using some ideas in my classroom. I'm glad I work with elementary students, so they aren't so far beyond me with their tech skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,
    Do you really have time to do anything worth doing in education? I worked as a high school teacher for 13 years and I found it very difficult as well because I coached and went to many of my students activities. I needed the summer to just become sane again! Needless to say I was burnt out and that was one reason I got into another career! I still miss the students alot though! Anyway it sounds like you are plugging away and that is the main take away anyway. If you incorporate even one of these tools you are doing well! Good luck next year :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete