The technological tasks at first were difficult for me. I was basically a beginner on that sort of thing. I could use email, surf the web, do Word, that was about it. The blog, url, html, etc. were all new, intimidating, and frustrating. Now, although still not very experienced, I feel like I am getting better as we go along. Not great just better. At first I was wondering if this class should be a lab class, but after getting help from Sharon on our first two tasks, and then being able to get a couple on my own I began to think I could do this. The class started out being frustrating, but I am more excited now about my ability to do technological tasks and the prospect of using our assignments in my classes.
I can see several assignments for blogs. In history and government students could create the kind of blog that they think a historical figure might have created. Global Issues could have a weekly Volinia News blog complete with the ability to have pictures. I could have a class blog were students and parents could keep up with class news and assignments. Delicious would give me the ability to limit web searches for projects from my blog. Our assignment this week will let me create a new lesson plan for making maps of possible trips or historical events. My newly learned ability to move sites via their html will allow me to really focus on a subject or just to have a short break from the everyday routine of class. Only time and my imagination can limit me on this; and well the principal too.
Although I am not in the masters program I feel that this class is a good introductory class. It is challenging like a graduate class should be, but is not so challenging that someone just needing an experience like this cannot do the work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mark-
ReplyDeleteIt seems you are catching on pretty well... and figuring out most "techie's" secret... trial and error. At least in my case, I've learned how to do things, just by messing around and giving it a try. I'm sure the kids you teach will be impressed and engaged by your new skills! -Suzy
Thank you for the great idea of having students create a blog that they think an historical figure might have created! That will really get them thinking about the personality, character, and achievements of their historical figure. I'm going to try to incorporate that idea in my classes.
ReplyDeleteMark,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have learned quite alot and you are going to apply it! It's a teachers dream! And you are right you are only limited by your imagination-look out class of 2010! :) KathyW
Although I haven't needed much help in figuring out our technology assignments, it is good to hear that if I ever do, it sounds like there is help out there in Sharon. I have to agree with Suzy, a lot of this technology stuff is trial and error. That is what I have been doing all along. Congrats on becoming a "techie."
ReplyDeleteI don't think I have reached the "techie" stage yet!But there has been a big improvement. Right now though I have had it with the computer, I am taking the dogs for a walk.
ReplyDeleteMark,
ReplyDeleteI would never imagine you were a beginner. Your blog site looks great and it seems like you have done all your tasks very well.
Like you, I feel I am improving too. It actually gave me some confidence to play around with some of the things that I would have never done in the past.
i said the same thing about being a beginner and being frustrated. This is not my first technology class and feel that i can confront the class a little different but i still dont know enough about technology not to get frustrated. I do find it rewarding after accomplishing a task although it may not be as good as some of the others or as advanced. I think your blog and things look good for being a beginner and should be proud of your work.
ReplyDelete