To quickly summarize the different contexts: (1) Business uses Instructional Design (ID) to lower the cost of training and to quickly train employees. (2) P-12 would use ID to completely revamp the educational system. (3) Higher education uses ID to improve teaching methods of professors and for distance learning, like our class. The most important theme these chapters have in common is using technology to improve performance. The differences come in the methods used to create improvement. In general, the more tech-savvy newer members of the faculty will be able to see the benefits of using more technology in the classroom.
Both the business and the higher education models use technology to improve the system that is already in place. For higher education, the emphasis is placed on moving faculty away from only lecturing and toward using technology to enhance their teaching. This, I believe, will take a long time. Almost all the professors I had for both my bachelor's and (more recent) master's degrees were strictly lecturers. It is how they were taught, and how they are comfortable teaching. Even so, just offering the faculty of a university the chance to learn to use some of the new technologies to improve learning will be a beginning.
The biggest difference in the three chapters is the way they want to create improvements. It seems the authors of the P-12 Ch 21 want a radical revision of public schools, while the higher education and business models are using a more evolutionary strategy. Change is inevitable and good, but I really feel a more gradual approach is the best when it comes to improving public schools.
I believe the best application for me as a teacher would be the use of workshops such as those used in higher education, to promote more modern teaching methods. The state should mandate that a class similar to ours be part of an education degree. Established teachers still have to take six credit hours every five years, so the state could require them to take a similar class. This would be the fastest, most efficient way for our schools to enter the 21st century. It would also take the financial burden from the schools, but it would not increase the cost for teachers because they need to take classes anyway. Another way to bring more technology to the classroom is to have a workshop in ID at the beginning of the school year. Every district has at least two days of meetings. One day could be used to increase staff technology skills in regard to teaching. It would be time well spent for the staff and it might lead to some jobs for instructional designers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really liked your idea of taking a technology course as part of a teacher's continuing education. The state mandates that probationary teachers take 18 credits towards continuing education with one of the classes being a literacy class. They could easily require one of the classes to be a technology class. I do think this would be met with some resistance by older teachers who are quite content with they methods they use to teach. However, I think once we've overcome the fear of new things, mandated technology course would be very beneficial.
ReplyDeleteDanelle Drake
Mark,
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of building a required educational technology class into renewing the teaching certificate. The state has already done something similar to that in the master's programs by requiring a reading strategies class. As you said this would take the finincial burden off the schools.
I also like you idea about teaching technology to the staff during meetings. We have done this a few times at my building. It tends to have big success at the meetings and everyone wants one. However, the people get the technology into their classroom and then they never use it. I think if they build in turning in your lessons with the technology in then you can keep it for x more weeks.
Jackie Sowle
I think that would be very helpful to have workshops that are devoted to showing teachers how, and when to use technology in their specific content area. I know it would help me as a first year teacher. My undergrad classes did nothing with technology. Boy would that have been helpful. Also as a first year teacher, I agree that it would be beneficial to have a day where someone came in and taught us some technology. The downside to this, at least in my district, is that we have no technology, besides one computer lab. But when we do get it, I want to be ready and able to use it.
ReplyDeleteMark,
ReplyDeleteWhat you wrote really is exactly the same situation I am in. I needed to renew my teaching license this year and were required to take some courses. This led me to take education tecnology courses. At first I was quite nervous since I am not familiar with technology but taking these courses has change the way I will teach. I think all teachers should required to take these technology courses to further benefit their careers and also their students.
I agree with everyone else that having a required EDT course at the undergrad level would be a tremendous help for new teachers!
ReplyDeleteWorkshops for teachers would be great, also, especially if they had to design a lesson plan showing how they would incorporate the tehcnology.
I really liked how you analyzed the different contexts. I agree with how the different contexts want different things and feel that gradual change is better for public schools. And that a class similar to ours should be a requirement to teachers. I had a couple basic technology classes but nothing that would prepare me for the everchanging and new technology that is out there and expected to be used my just any regular teacher.
ReplyDeleteMark,
ReplyDeleteI agree with the 2 days at the beginning of the school year. I always think that is the biggest waste of time but if it was on technology and applicable to your class, why not! I have a masters in science education as well and all of my profs lectured. Guess what I did when I taught science-lectured! At first anyway until I thought this is way too boring! There are so many exciting ways to facilitate learning with technology. Chapter 31 really spells that out for you. :) KathyW